Thursday, September 10, 2009

Noreaster Day 1

I was questioning whether or not I would even be able to sail. I had the cable guy coming around 2:00 to fix the channels that magically disappeared. There was no wind on the meters anywhere except Napeague which is a good 1 1/2 - 2 hour ride for me to get to. Just as I was losing hope and starting to think about where I would sail the following day, the phone rang. It was 10:30 in the morning and it was the cable guy. The voice on the other end said, "Hi, this is Jason from Cablevision, do you mind if I stop by earlier to see what's going on with the cable?" Yes!!!! the stars have aligned and he would be here in 10 minutes. I quickly checked the wind again while waiting for my now favorite cable guy named Jason.
Still no wind in-island but Napeague remained 24 to 29 mph. The plan has been set into motion. Jason showed up around 11:00 and was gone by 11:15. A new cable was in place and a great session was about to begin. I made the long drive without any trouble. When I pulled up, Kurt was rigging his 5.4. The wind had backed a little but was supposed to get stronger as the day went on. I decided to just go ahead and rig my 5.3 and 4.7 so they would both be ready to go. While I was rigging, John Ford pulled in and mentioned something about Graham Ezzy being on his way to our little beach.
I headed out on the 5.3. It was perfect! right off the bat I was hitting great shakas and even a super smooth air funnel. Then the wind stared to pick up and it was time to grab a drink and the 4.7. As I was making the walk to the car I saw someone walking towards me sporting a "Princeton." T-shirt. There's only 1 guy I know that goes to Princeton and is also a windsurfer so it's got to be Graham. I introduced myself and he was very pleasant and eager to get on the water. he had forgotten his harness but we scrounged one up form John Markwalter. But first Graham had promised his buddy some windsurfing lessons. I could see his frustration as his eyes were just glued to the other sailors on the water while he was trying to keep his attention focussed on his buddy. Eventually his buddy got a run on the beginner gear. I guess that was Grahams signal that his buddy was good to go on his own and started rigging his own gear. (I would have been giving my buddy lessons as I was sailing past him.)
On the next run in Graham shouted from the beach, "Mike, my boards too small can I borrow this one" (pointing to my 85 ltr sitting on the beach) "Sure," I replied. He hooked his Ezzy sail up and was off. We we're having a blast and he was throwing some flakas and super clean forwards. I was glad to help him get some action.

We ended up sailing into the sunset and packed it in as the sun went down. It was solid 4.7 for most of the day. Today looks like it's got more East in it so I'll most likely be off to Heckscher. I can't wait to get on the water again today.


  1. That sounds great ! Sailing with the young EZzy heir too. His Dad sure makes great sails ! We scored some super clean little waves today and the Easterly here gave us clean offshore