Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Getting back in into it.

My ankle is just about fully healed after bad sprain it took it Hatteras in November. I finally got some windsurfing action last week. The first day out was a very strong Easterly. I endd up sailing all by my self at Hearts Cove in Moriches. It turns out to be a great freestyle spot on an Easterly. So I sailed there for about 3 hours on a 4.2 and freestyle board. After a month without getting wet I was rusty to say the least. I was being denied all my favorite moves that I could land 90% of the time. Shakas, funnels and even grubbies and spocks weren't working much at all. At the end of the day I headed home with my tail between my legs. I couldn't believe how much my sailing fell behind due purely to lack of time on the water.

Luckily the next day was forecasted to be a little windy, so it would be my chance to see if the previous day was just a fluke, or if I would really have to relearn all my favorite tricks. It only ended up being 5.9, the next day but I sailed for about an hour and 1/2. I started making my tricky tricks, and my ankle was feeling much better than the previous day. I was feeling much better about myself and everything was coming back.

Day 3 was unbelievable. 4.2 was the call and it was super low tide at West Meadow. After about an hour into the session I was right back where I left off a month ago. Shakas, check. Konos, check. Air Funnels, check. Ponches, check! Woohooo! There were also a bunch of other guys out that day including Mustang Steve, Ryan, George Pav, Eric, Bob and a couple others. George, Ryan and I ended up staying on the inside in the glass flat freestyle heaven. Ryan ended up hitting 2 vulcans and GP ended up hitting a perfect, ankle dry, Vulcan followed by an almost spock. Go George!!!

Now we've got about a month until we hit up Bonaire to learn some new tricks, get a nice tan, and drink the beach bar out of alcohol. Can't wait to get out of the land of ice and snow. Here's a link to the Jibe City webcam. This time of year, I watch it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment